The high profile falls of eventers Laura Collett and Harry Meade — who suffered serious injuries last year, but didn’t have personal accident cover — have raised awareness of the need for riders to protect themselves in case of an accident.

What is personal accident insurance?

While insuring our horses is high on our priority lists, riders often leave themselves completely uncovered.  Personal accident insurance will cover you for loss of income if an injury stops you from working temporarily, and provide a lump sum if you are permanently disabled or die in a riding accident. The type of things covered include loss of eyesight, loss of limbs, permanent disablement and death.

Why should you have it?

Personal cover is not just an issue for professional riders — who rely on being fit and healthy to compete and pay the bills. It is a matter that amateur riders should take on board as well. “If you are self-employed and break your arm, for example, you might be just as badly affected [as the professionals],” says Suzy Middleton from SEIB. “Even if you are employed and are entitled to sick pay, you have to take into consideration the additional cost of someone looking after your horse if you can’t.”

This article first appeared on Personal accident insurance for riders: what it is and why you need it |Horse & Hound.