A mother-of-two is suing a hairdresser for £1m over claims treatment she received at the salon caused her to suffer a stroke.

Adele Burns had her hair washed six times during a treatment at Rainbow Rooms in Glasgow, and her lawyers say the impact of the sink on her neck is what led to the medical emergency.

She is said to have left the appointment in April 2016 with a headache and the following day felt dizzy and lost her sight, which then caused her to pass out while on the phone to her husband.

The 47-year-old was taken to St John’s Hospital in Livingston where doctors found she had suffered a stroke after dissecting her vertebral artery – a clot caused by trauma in the neck which stops blood reaching the brain.

With no history of strokes in her family, lawyers have put it down to the hair treatment.

Mrs Burns, who lives in Mid Calder, West Lothian, said: “With backing from my doctors, there is no doubt in my mind the salon caused the stroke.

“This hasn’t just left me isolated from society – I’ve been isolated from my own body.”

She added that she now struggles to speak, read and write – and has had to sell her family home.

Rainbow Room International has declined to comment on the treatment received by Mrs Burns, which lawyers allege could have been avoided if staff had asked her to attend what is known as a “strand test”.

It would have meant there was no need to have her hair re-washed and re-coloured half-a-dozen times.

If you have been the victim of Personal Injury, please visit our Personal Injury Claims page.

Source: Sky News